Re: in the woods

I live on Vancouver Island, Canada (Victoria specifically) Although we have a very diverse ecosystem, the Biogeographical climate is classified as Temperate Rainforest. We also have the Pacific Ocean at our back door. Some of the forested areas I shoot in have Cedar and Fir trees exceeding 100 years. If you ever decide to venture out this way drop me and email beforehand and I'll set up a few photo excursions in my favorite places.

Some remedies you might try to achieve proper exposures include:
1) use a color or black and white target and meter off the card. I'm assuming you have the ability to review your digital images immediately after making the exposure;
2) set your white balance as per user instructions for your camera;
3) remember digital images are much like colour transparency, I generally underexpose by up to a full stop if the foreground is dark and the background is light. Otherwise you'll lose any detail in the highlighted area. You can always lighten up an underexposed image to recover detail but once a highlight is lost your pretty much looking at discarding the image.

Hope this helps, and Stay Well!!

--
Regards
Ken R. Lozoway, R.P.Bio.