in the woods

OK. So last week I went out to the other side of my state to a dance, and along the way stopped for an hour in a reserve around a big reservoir. It's getting on to fall here in MA, and the central new england countryside is characteristically rolling hills with oak, birch, maple, long-needle pine and beech trees. If the woods hasn't been messed with for quite a long time, like 60 years or so, the trees are tall, close together and the floor of the woods is full of granite rocks, pine needles, last year's leaves, ferns, asters, and other low plants that don't want a lot of sunshine.

So we have the classic deep woods with a huge range of brightness where the sun sneaks through the tree cover.

What tricks do you use to deal with that ecosystem? Flash? Multiple exposures at different apertures and superimpose the results? Dodge and burn in PS? Do you use the curves adjustment to balance the brights and darks? Accentuate the contrast and ignore the original situation, which is basically even light with bright spots?

Ideas?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx