Re: in the woods

At 6:20 PM -0700 9/23/06, kodiakimages wrote:
I live on Vancouver Island, Canada (Victoria specifically) If you ever decide to venture out this way drop me and email beforehand and I'll set up a few photo excursions in my favorite places.

Some day I'll get out there again. The closest I've been able to get in the last 10 years is Humboldt Redwoods, where, basically, the same problem obtains.

Some remedies you might try to achieve proper exposures include:
1) use a color or black and white target and meter off the card. I'm assuming you have the ability to review your digital images immediately after making the exposure;

I have no problem obtaining a usable RAW exposure, what I'm curious about is just which tools people have been using most successfully to adjust the result, and in what manner. Although it's clear to me that underexposure is a good general procedure with digital capture, and perhaps my results on this particular shoot would have benefitted from even more that I applied (2/3 stop), I still have hotspots scattered all over the forest floor.

2) set your white balance as per user instructions for your camera;

I shoot RAW in order to avoid messing with white balance set in the camera. RAW allows one to adjust the color temperature as well as all the color channels if they are badly off. In addition, the Canon 10D's native representation of color differs from that of the Nikon D100, which I experimented with early on, in that it does not suffer from an excess of blue. My colors nearly always need contrast and saturation but not RGB adjustment.

As for sky, I fancy one would have to plant some fill flash way in the trees to counteract the contrast if one included sky! Having no sling, nor someone to pull it up, I gave up on including sky until some future time when I'm rich and can afford an assistant!

The two exposure solution is generally not workable because of the wind's effect on the tops of the trees, although in the days when one could do multiple exposures on a single piece of film (surely less time consuming than combining frames digitally) the motion in the tops of the trees made an interesting visual effect! But the wind did not allow for sufficient depth of field, since a small f stop requires a long exposure (or upping the ISO which makes a very grainy (noisy) result).

In this particular situation I discovered once again that the tree trunks move as well as the cinnamon ferns covering the floor of the forest, so some of the shots were simply completely unsharp despite a tripod. I really didn't want to settle for the distance being unsharp, and certainly didn't want the ferns in the foreground unsharp, so was left with a very long exposure.

So perhaps that brings it down to exposing for the highlights and dodging the 90% which is not highlights up to balance?

Oh dear, there must be another way. Just masking the highlights would be a nightmare...
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822