Re: Omega D-2 enlarger

At 03:44 PM 8/6/2006, you wrote:
Does it make any sense?  Won't somebody tell them?
I guess not.  The market will sort this out, so it is claimed.

I speak often at schools about photography as a career and I tell them that unless there is absolutely no way you will be happy doing anything else, choosing photography as a career is not a good idea. I also advise them if they do choose photography, they should major in business

This said, I'm all in favor of keeping chemistry and silver as part of the basic tuition in photo schools.

I taught photography at the college level until the college decided to replace their wonderful darkrooms with computers and then discovered they couldn't afford to get everything needed to be computer-based for two years. They wanted me to teach with neither. I quit. I still have a darkroom and a Jobo processor but haven't used either in over two years. If I had time to pursue photography as a hobby, I would still be using the darkroom. I do believe that beginning photographers would benefit from learning darkroom processing first, but I also believe that they benefit from the instant results and ability to take many exposures available with digital.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com