Re: Omega D-2 enlarger

Actually, Tina, I think you're right.

My (limited) experience is that most students don't worry about earning a living when staying in school.  This is why there are still so many students registered in photography schools.

Consider this.

Good year, bad year, the schooling system here in the province of Quebec probably swallows 150-175 new photography students and will carry about 110-125 of them to completion of their diploma (not counting self-taught, etc...).

The demand for new photographers in an age of digital, databases and internet is probably 25-50 max.  These guys will have to compete against established photographers here and globally, graphic artists, self-taught, etc...   Some will remain assistants or will become sales assistants, etc...  Only 5/yr, I would say, will make it to become recognized commercial photographers in whatever sphere they choose to go, because of tremendous determination and desire to succeed.

Leaving a surplus of 75-100 sudents who should never/never have come close to the photo school.  Yet, these guys will go into serious debt (or kudos to their parents) to pay for tuition, equipment (nothing but the best, of course) and general living/drinking allowances during their years at school.

Does it make any sense?  Won't somebody tell them?
I guess not.  The market will sort this out, so it is claimed.

This said, I'm all in favor of keeping chemistry and silver as part of the basic tuition in photo schools.

Regards,

Guy