Re: Microsoft Power Point

At 03:20 24.07.2006, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marilyn" <marilyn160@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 3:01 AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Power Point

: I am about to purchase Microsoft Office which includes Powerpoint.  The
: software I am considering buying is for "teachers and students".  Is
there
: any reason I shouldn't be buying this package?

well you CAN save all the money you would spend on it, spent a little time
downloading OpenOffice as recommeded and at least try it.  It is 100%
compatible with Microsoft office and MS office is 100% compatible with the
former.  I don't think you'll find the MS version can do anything more for
you than openoffice does other than deprive you of cash ;)

Many who have used it prefer the smaller size and speed.

I am sometimes translating presentations (and texts with layout) "into the file" and for that purpose OpenOffice is even better than M$ Office.
I do have both (i.e. the free MSOffice 2007 Beta).

Older Oo versions sometimes had problems with MSO text files with sophisticated layout, at least saved under Oo wasn't exactly the same as original, but with the latest version I haven't encountered that problem any more.

Regards,
Peeter