My experience; Sigma lenses

I think I am a professional photographer, I have made my living from commercial, advertising and illustrative phortography for 35 years and I have had work published in most major magazines around the globe.

I have woked doing seminars for Sinar and Hasselblad cameras, Schneider lenses and Elinchrom lighting.

For what it's worth:
There is a terrible elitism that goes on in Photographic equipment.  My answer is: Don't give a sh_t what people are saying about the fasionable gear. Use what will get the job done best at the best price.
Many photographers go out of business because they spend their profits on equipment they imagine they might need.
The top pros working for top publications (Is there still such a species?) have their equipment bought for them so they order the most expensive gear. Wouldn't you?

I have a few good Canon lenses some "L" some not but when I bought a 10D a few years ago I couldn't get a wide enough lens so I bought a Sigma 12-24mm.

It was fabulous. It still IS fabulous and I have had more work sold, shot on that lens than any single canon lens I own.
I use it on a 1Ds Mk II and it dies around the edges but I don't mind because when I'm shooting that wide the magnification is so low . I tried the canon 10-22 on a 20D and it was not that great at the edges either.

I also use Nikon D2x cos' I get it free with all the sweet Nikon glass. (Eat your heart out) There isn't another lens like the Nikon 85mm 1.4... A great camera and great glass too.

In a perfect world where all lenses fit all cameras just for feel of the gear and and quality of images , I'd work with the Canon 30D {It's a lovely instrument in the hands) a sigma 12 -24, A Canon 17-40, a Nikon 85mm 1.4, A Nikon 105 Micro and a Canon 70-200 2.8 L.

And I'd put out an open challenge for any digital SLR user to beat the quality of the images at 16X20.

herschel

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology