Re: A lens in need is a lens indeed.........Sigma lenses

Good  for you Howard,

You will please notice a few points re: my post. First it was in referance to CANON cameras. Not Nikons. Nikon still uses a mechanical system with it lenses. Canons is electro optical. Also you are a user of the lenses. a singularity.

I am speaking from a (former) vendors view where hundreds of users came in weekly for various reasons. I also never said anything about the SHARPNESS of the lenses either. I was discussing the  construction, and the materials that they use to build lenses. So you have had good experiences, good for you. You can't afford the admitedly better Nikon lenses, sorry. I have had the same issues too.

I look at lenses (primarily) as an investment in quality tools for my photographic WORK. I look at the bodies as a secondary investment in tools, because they change considerably faster. Aftermarket glass does not hold it's value well. It is not constructed as well. Remember the value of the glass is not just in it's ability to render images.

How much of the value of a Leica lens is reputation by the manufacturer and how much for the quality of THAT lens.

Sigma sells lenses becuase stores sell them in volume (usually to rookies who just dropped a large pot of cash on a body) and they are cheaper than factory glass. You won't see lines of pros at the counter clamoring for Sigma glass.

Do a quick google search on problems with Sigma and see what pops up. Various focal lengths, camera bodies and issues.

This list is for educators, I've given my experience to those that listen, if you have somthing to refute the thousands of Sigma users who have had very bad issues with the lenses than speak up, if not learn from what I've had to say and the same with countless others who have gotten hosed buying cheaply built gear from Sigma.

Les Baldwin