Adobe acquires Pixmantec

A while ago, I began to use Raw Shooter for the mrw (Minolta Raw Files), my Dynax 7d produces.
I started with the "Essential" version, then tested the professional one and eventually payed for the upgrade.
Now Pixmantec sent me the following message essentially telling me that Raw Shooter will no further be developed after it has be acquired by Adobe and that it I will get a free copy of Adobe Lightroom.
It seems that Adobe wants to integrate much of the Raw Shooter technology into its oen products:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressmaterials/pdfs/FAQ-Pixmantec.pdf

As a PC user, I haven't tested Lighroom yet - the Adobe FAQ maintains that it will have a greater functionality than Raw Shooter.
Does anybody here already have experience with this product? I suppose it won't be a full fledged image editing software incorporating most of the Photoshop tools?

In any case, I felt that this may be of interest to other Raw Shooter (or Adobe) users.

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/

Pixmantec mail:

Dear RawShooter!

As you may have noticed, Adobe Systems Inc. recently acquired the technology assets of Pixmantec. Pixmantec 's technology and expertise will be incorporated into Adobe's products. Specifically, some of Pixmantec's raw processing technology will be incorporated into Adobe's raw processing engine which is shared by Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom. We, the founders of Pixmantec, will join the Adobe team, integrating our expertise into their products, and continuing to be able to serve the photographic community.

As the founders of Pixmantec, we'd like to express how gratifying it has been to see the level of support and praise we have managed to gain through the introduction of the RawShooter product line to the market. We had a vision of making top-notch raw processing capabilities truly accessible to a wide audience of photographers, and the number of devoted users that developed tells us that we made significant progress towards that goal.

Nevertheless, we also saw that we were not the only company recognizing the need for specialized photography workflow software. Specifically, Adobe a company we have always admired had for some time been working on their own workflow solution, which was announced as the Lightroom public beta program in January of this year. When we met with the folks from Adobe, we found that the admiration was mutual, and that our visions for the customer were very well aligned. Ultimately, we saw the opportunity to make a bigger impact by joining Adobe, and lending our own best ideas and expertise to the ongoing Camera Raw and Lightroom efforts.

As we work to integrate Pixmantec technology and expertise into Adobe's raw processing pipeline, we will no longer be working on new versions of the RawShooter | premium product, and have stopped selling this product. Of course, your RawShooter | premium product will continue to work and serve you well, but we also know that many of you will eventually want a software solution that you know will continue to evolve, remaining up-to-date as raw workflows and processing continues to improve. Adobe Lightroom is a product targeted at solving these evolving workflows and up to the minute raw processing. Currently in public beta format for the Macintosh platform Adobe Lightroom will be released as public beta for Windows this summer.

Lightroom is being built from the ground up to address the unique challenges of a photography-centric workflow. Not only will it offer what we believe will be second-to-none raw processing, but it is designed to provide a start-to-finish workflow solution for photographers. We encourage you to learn about Adobe Lightroom: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom

For those concerned about the transition to Lightroom or the acquisition in general please visit this FAQ that addresses many of the topics discussed in the Pixmantec forums recently. Please continue to let us know how we can ease this product transition for you.

Now that we've joined the Adobe family, we must emphasize that RawShooter users also are now Adobe customers, regardless of whether you ever purchase another Adobe product. Your satisfaction matters to us. Specifically, Adobe will do the following:

Offer a free download version of Lightroom 1.0 for customers who bought RawShooter | premium prior to July 12th 2006, 12 noon European Standard Time. Given that Lightroom 1.0 will serve a much broader range of functionality and will be priced at a higher price point than RawShooter | premium, we believe this represents a great value for our customers.

Adobe will investigate to what extent your image corrections made within RawShooter can be transferred to Lightroom.

We will deliver support for Canon EOS 30D In RawShooter | essentials this summer.

We are deeply thankful for the support you have offered Pixmantec and we thank you in advance for your understanding and continued support.

The best is yet to come!

Sincerely yours,

Kenneth Laerke and Michael Jonsson