Re: "The Lulu Method"

Manuel,

I am glad you like the product. I guess that is the bar by which success might be measured. In terms of preparing the book you can use as simple a word processing program as Word. You can send a Word file to them and they will transform it into a PDF or you can send a PDF that you have made.

Laying out the book in InDesign is not necessary and I went through a BIG and frustrating learning curve to get used to some of its features - and even now have only scratched the surface. I guess I used as many features as I needed and that was it. Kept is as simple for me as possible.

Lulu does have "live" (by way of instant messaging) help but sometimes it is hard to explain exactly what frustrates you as you are trying to compile your production.

In a way, the neat thing is that you can upload content but not buy any ... just download the "free" PDF. This way you can pretty much check what the final book will look like. This applies especially to the covers as they have to be produced and uploaded separately.

Their Black and White process is not a good (I think) as their color reproduction (in B&W you can easily see the halftone dots). I tried both methods with a couple of initial booklets. For what my images in the B&W book were the reproduction was OK - I accepted the halftone dots - and the color repro of the B&W white, was passable but at the time more expensive than B&W. I am not sure if pricing has changed so that it is the same regardless of B&W or color repro.

In any case, I think I (we) got a pretty good deal and appropriate quality. Not sure what else you want to know. I am personally working on putting some old notes of mine along with some articles and papers related to strip panoramic and peripheral, etc. processes and techniques online as another Lulu book. My approach to this particular book is that it will be a book in progress ... with more and more added as I have time and energy to deal with it. But at least something about my experiences and dealings with the technical and pictorial aspects of these imaging approaches will be in print-on-demand "somewhere" and not just exist as paper copies in one of my filing cabinets where even if someone finds them (on yellowing crumpled paper) they will immediately toss them in the garbage 'cause they won't know what they are about. This way (the Lulu way) at least there is a chance that someone who is looking for such stuff "globally" might find something useful!

cheers,

Andy