Re: Gallery NUN 3 - My Comments

I'm flattered by the positive comments that have been posted on my photo this week. I expected far more negative evaluations. I anticipate that my photo next week won't measure up to this one. I don't think it does either.

My friend and I stayed for a week in a B&B in San Miguel de Allende for a week before and including Christmas in 2004. The photo was taken from the balcony of our room when the wall was lit by an afternoon sun. The flowers were growing next to a stucco wall that formed one of the boundaries of the courtyard of the B&B, directly to the left of our 2nd floor room, about 30 ft away. This photo was cropped from a much larger version that had another flower to the left that was aligned with the top most flower in the photo I posted. It didn't follow the theme (particularly the dominant -60 degree angle of the other flowers) of the photo I posted, so I cropped the photo to eliminate it. I also cropped a lot of weeds at the bottom.

I've had a lot of trouble trying to print this photo on my Epson Stylus Photo R800. Invariably, the prints turn out to be much darker than what I see on my monitor (Mac Powerbook). The only way I was able to get around this was to construct a version that was so light on the monitor that it appeared to be washed out. Then it printed OK. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this problem, which is not exclusive to this photo.

I've calibrated the monitor with the built-in calibration scheme that comes with every Mac and the photos usually look ok. But, there doesn't seem to be a change between before calibration and after calibration. I've also tried various profiles for the printer, including allowing the printer to have absolute control. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Roger

Roger Eichhorn
eichhorn@xxxxxx