Re: What is a photograph anyway?

>>>BTW I believe images have little to do with what's real no matter if
they've been squeezed through the PS screen-door or left as nature
intended Painting or drawing is better at depicting what's real than
photographs. >>>

I disagree. Painters have likely always stretched things, so there is no guarantee that the scene the painter paints shows everything that was in the original scene. A photograph offers no such guarantees, either. We have PS to add and subtract all sorts of things. I might be missing your point, however.

Someone painting a still life of a bowl of fruit might decide to change the lemons to oranges or the red grapes to white, because he or she hates red grapes and lemons. A photograph of the same subject will show the scene as it was.

How do emotions factor in? I own a black and white oil painting of a pitiful cat. It is (was at the time) a famous painting by Barb Kenny, the daughter of one of the founders of the Ross Jurney Advertising Agency. My mother bought the original and the artist sold thousands of prints because it is a scary image. Mother could have sold the painting for a large pile of cash, but she declined. The cat looked like it did because the artist suffered severe depression. No photograph could capture her depression if she had used a camera.

Bob