RE: What is a photograph anyway?

At 06:48 AM 3/5/2006, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
One has to draw a line somewhere to mark where straight pictures become
something else.

The problem is that there is no agreement on where to draw the line. And then there's the problem of what you do with pure photographic pictures that are total fabrications, such as Bob Bennett's work - look at this - http://bobbennettphoto.net/art/edge.fp.html - for example.

As to Photoshop making things easy...well that's not really the case until you learn it, just like the darkroom. It takes a lot of training and/or practice to get really good, repetitive results in Photoshop, just like in traditional work. But the "easy" thing is a false argument anyway - did photographers lose out when mixed chemicals became available, or minilabs popped up everywhere?

I have been asked numerous times why I am so supportive of digitally manipulated photography when I don't do it, always by people who argue against it. I think the answer to their question is contained in that sentence. You can either be interested in what can be done or only what you can do.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/