Re: Bulk Photoshop

Don:
: I am really curious to see what happens with the Intel Macs and the
: Windows software and vice versa.  The possibility of running both OSs is
: intriguing.  I use VirutalPC and find it wanting.  Maybe it's my
: ignorance but moving things and using them between systems never works.
: And, as a long time Mac user, I can do things much faster in OSX than I
: can in Windows XP

oh NOW you're taling!  WinXP is an abomination imo.  WAY too big an
install, way too insidious, way too much 'behind the scenes'
monitoring/fiddling going on..

:so the speed of the application may be negated.

yup!  the IT guru's decided to 'speed' up the college machines by
installing Xp, obviously the hardware couldn't cope so they upgraded the
hardware.  Once all the net nanny junk and monitoring systems were
installed the machines ran slower than the old boxes running 98

Therein lies a probles with a lot of new stuff - OS's and programs.  Easy
access to faster hardware means lazier programming on the whole.  *

forgive my use of irfanview in yet another exmple, but running as a command
line application (which it can do!) it screams along on the slowest of
boxes and is mind numbingly fast on new.  Remember the intro of Office 2000
and all the test reports showing it ran slower, sloppier and with more
faults that office97.  Of course all that went away when folks upgraded
their boxes - and then exclaimed how fast 2000 was (on their new P4
compared to the PIII 800MHz machine ;)

*the freeware writers are bucking this trend - and many software reviewers
are looking at freeware as the new leaders in the game.  gsbnr was a
classic and amazing example.

If
: there is a more seamless integration I would be delighted.  Of course,
: since I am no longer a hard core user but a retired photographer fooling
: with his own stuff, the costs of replacing equipment and/or software may
: make it all academic anyway.  But it seems the world of digital
: photography will be getting even more interesting now.
: Don

true, as long as the good people can keep up the race and not tire along
the way :/