18 FEB Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

re 11 feb gallery

From: "James B. Davis"

me:
if there's metadata in the image which can be stripped then the actual
image may not need so much compression.

:>: Sorry I do not intend to get some other program to try and squeeze in a
>smaller JPG. Your image was different than mine. Mine had lots of detail
and so
>did not compress well.

: I really don't care to do any more work than necessary to submit an image
to the gallery. I like an image of about 800 by whatever, and I save it
without
colour space and I set the quality to 5, then check the size and lower the
quality more if necessary. When I have to start lowering the quality below
5 to get to
a 75K file, that just sucks ;-)
:
: I have at times been able to sneak the quality up to 8 or more, but
that's when an image has less detail.
:
: I know it will be a long week of holding your breath, but next weekend
you will get to see this masterpiece in all it's glory at a quality of 2
;-)

me:
if there's metadata in the image which can be stripped then the actual
image may not need so much compression.

cool - I stripped 30kb of data from the image and it's still the same  (I
can send it to you can confirm that if you like) - as I said James, a
stripping program can give you a greater quality, larger size and no image
detail reduction..

that could have been 30k more image :-(

stuff like this formed part of your image 'size':
File: - C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\davis-2.jpg

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 10D
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 100.00
YResolution - 100.00
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
DateTime - 2006:02:12 19:12:55
ExifOffset - 208
Artist - James B. Davis
Copyright - Copyright 2005 by James B. Davis
ExposureTime - 1/750 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2006:02:11 14:55:29
DateTimeDigitized - 2006:02:11 14:55:29
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 9 (bits/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/750 seconds
ApertureValue - F 8.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.50
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 28 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - Uncalibrated
ExifImageWidth - 800
ExifImageHeight - 533
FocalPlaneXResolution - 3443.95
FocalPlaneYResolution - 3442.02
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Manual