Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:40:06 +0000, wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote/replied to:

>I understand what you mean (I  think) but I tend to try to compress images
>until I can start to see degradation (with reading glasses on) then back
>off a little.  But the arbitrary "level 5" ... does not relate well to such
>a subjective view.  It really does depend on the nature of the image as I'm
>sure you are aware. The sharper and crisper your pictures are to start with
>the sooner you start to see the effect.

Well, I make up JPGs for three purposes. One is for the printing lab, when I
make it up at 12. Then there's my images for my webpages which I make at 5. The
other is for Photoforum Gallery and I like to make it easy on myself and just
use 5 again.

I really don't care to do any more work than necessary to submit an image to the
gallery. I like an image of about 800 by whatever, and I save it without colour
space and I set the quality to 5, then check the size and lower the quality more
if necessary. When I have to start lowering the quality below 5 to get to a 75K
file, that just sucks ;-)

I have at times been able to sneak the quality up to 8 or more, but that's when
an image has less detail.

I know it will be a long week of holding your breath, but next weekend you will
get to see this masterpiece in all it's glory at a quality of 2 ;-)

It looks fine...

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
http://easternbeaver.com/ Motorcycle Relay Kits,