Re: A Moving Experience..............

I tried doing something similar, and if I could remember exactly what I did, your information might answer my question and save y'all some time:

I tried to make a back-up of my HD on an external and it would not permit me to transfer more than 4GB to the empty 160GB drive.  Given the volatile nature of these damned machines, I'd like to be a little more protected and be able to do just what you described Emily.

Cheers!   Trevor

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is one other possibility.

When I got my new Powerbook and retired my old G4 I cloned my old
computer directly to the new one - everything exactly the way it had
been on the old computer. Just plugged them together with a firewire
cable and dragged the entire hard drive from one to the other.

Saved me from having to dig out all those old CDs and reload all the
software and set up all the preferences all over again.

It's called making a bootable drive. People do it with an external
hard drive for backup as well and surely it can be done on PCs as
well as on Macs.

The free software to do it is called Carbon Copy Cloner for Macs.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham