Re: Long term camera storage.

Without claiming any sort of expert knowledge, as an ex-collector I ´ve faced the same problem for years.... My solution is to keep the equipment in boxes in a closed, but not airtight, cupboard (moisture isn´t a big problem where I live, nor is excessive heat).

Of course no batteries of any kind in the cameras (weren´t any in my collectibles anyway), and ABSOLUTELY no leather cases in contact with the equipment - it will cause severe corrosion!

Although there is some dispute about the necessity, I was careful always to store cameras with the shutters uncocked. Also, to keep them from gumming up, I took them out every three months or so (a few at a time) and exercised the shutters a bit, at all time settings (a nice, relaxed task when watching TV; also something that was sure to bug my wife no end).

I never had anything actually deteriorating while following this procedure. A few shutters did gum up, but they were probably well on their way when I acquired them.

Still, quite honestly: If you can find somebody who is actually going to use these things for photography, and is ready to pay decently for them, let him (her) take over! They will be a lot happier doing serious work than hanging around in a retired state. Remember: a Stradivarius should be played upon by someone who can appreciate it, not sitting in a glass case or bank vault...

But, of course, there is the nostalgia factor (I do hang on to 2 Leicas and a Rolleiflex myself...).

Good luck!

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"