Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

>In a message dated 11/9/2005 10:05:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jeff@xxxxxxxxxx >writes:>Drives are going for about 75 cents a gigabyte if you shop carefully

No, I be buying gigabytes at 50 cents. I buy 200 gig drives when they are on sale at Staples. The larger than 200 gig drives don't seem to be put on sale yet.

I get 55 (18MB average size of scan) scanned slide images per 1000 MB ( roughly equilivant to 1 gig). Most of my files are bigger after manipulation some going to 150 MB for 8 x 10"  size. But storing slides is easier and much less time consuming. Every slide get a number based on it plastic storage page. But once filed I only have to pick out the ones I going to make a print from so let say I only scan 1 out of every 200 slides.
With digital capture you have to go thru each file and decided whether to store it or not which takes up time and then soaks up hard drive space with a lot of images that will never be used. Of course I have every file back up on at least two more drives so you can see the multiplying effect of storing digital originals that I will probably never print on hard drives.
Digital may be alright for amateurs and some commercial work but not for my work.