Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx writes:

> In a message dated 11/9/2005 11:40:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> dd-b@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> Oh, it  is, tremendously.  Have you ever done color printing in  a
>> darkroom?  Made contrast masks?
>
> The ideal solution (IMHO) is to shoot slides and scan them.  Get the
> benefits of both worlds.  Film has a better color gamut and you get
> away from the fumes and time consumption of lab work.

I did some of that (well, had them scanned) when I was first edging
into digital back in 1995 or some such.  My initial motivation was to
display some of my photos on the web.  Then I started discovering the
power of digital editing, and then inkjet printing started to take
off, and I gave up any idea of putting a darkroom into the house.

I far prefer to scan negatives, though, especially with desktop
equipment (I now have a Nikon LS-5000, which replaced my first film
scanner, an LS-2000).  Slide densities go a lot higher, which is one
of the weaker areas in desktop film scanners.

I never had fume problems in the darkroom (mostly B&W, but those are
actually fumier in some ways), probably because of some care in
ventilation, and a lack of allergies to anything involved.

I really like being able to do *little* bits of printing work -- not
having to set up chemistry and clean up afterwards and wash and dry
prints (most of my darkroom work was B&W).  That made it a big enough
deal that it was only worth doing when several hours were available.
Now I can poke at something for just a few minutes when I think of
it.