Re: color space questions

----- Original Message -----
From: <PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx>
Re: color space questions

me:
: Colour  space / gamut is the limit of colours a device can represent

you
: No, Color Space is an artificially theoretical construct.

that is true, but in application it's main purpose is to define the above
..otherwise we wouldn't be working with colour spaces at all, we'd just
have all these colours - or not!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

and a really good explanation:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-space-conversion.htm

and a cracker on gamut:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut

: As you said different devices have different gamuts.

..as do the images themselves ;-)

: Once you have forced
: all the colors into a certain space you can make comparisons between the
color
: spaces. sRGB  is larger than CYMK space and thus if going to process
color
: printing you lose colors. Adjusting  the images can be done to give it
the  best
: looking rendition in CYMK space when printed.

the above links give a far more detailed analysis than both of our efforts
put together, but for the large part my explanation dumbed down a heck of a
lot a very complex subject to a point where I felt it made theory
applicable and comprehensible.