Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

On 11/8/05 5:30 PM, "James B. Davis" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:18:27 -0800, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"
> <drjchamberlain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:
>
>> I am surprised with the low quality of the images I got from both lenses. I
>> am coming from film cameras and used two very similar lenses with my Nikon
>> Pro film body. My expectations for both Canon lenses were that they would
>> meet Nikon's quality since they are both "L" lenses and the price is about
>> the same but they don't even come close. My Nikon lenses are the 17-35mm
>> f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor and the 28mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor.  snip bla bla
>> bla,,,
>
> Are you talking about hand held images, or images taken from a good tripod?
> Was it windy?

Both. I took several hundred shots of different scenery and compared them.
Some were handheld and some were on a tripod. It wasn't windy although there
was a light breeze blowing. I have a good (reasonably heavy) Manfrotto
tripod that couldn't be moved by such light breeze.

> Those Canon lenses hold up very well against Nikon's, but of course you could
> find arguments against both on the net
> somewhere if you really wanted to. Looks like you did too...

Maybe I haven't been lucky as the first lenses I bought and the ones that I
tend to use the most for non-medical use are the ones from Canon that don't
offer the best image quality.

> It's pretty tough to compare anything on your first shoot. Maybe the lenses
> need cleaning

I am not talking about image quality that relates to specks or dirt on the
lens. This is a new lens I removed from the box just another day. The image
appears to be of good quality (sharpness specially) around the central area
of the image. In fact when the zoom is set to 35mm the image is good.
However, when opening the zoom to the point it goes wider than 24mm it
starts to show such level of peripheral distortion I've never seen on
Nikon's similar lens. The Nikon zoom also distorts (not to any degree near
that of the Canon lens) the image but sharpness is still there. Lens
construction is also not the same as the one made by Nikon feels a lot more
"solid" than the one made by Canon.

> ... or you forgot to take off the lens cap.

Very funny !