Re: Canon digital bodies and Nikon lenses.

At 04:18 PM 11/8/2005, Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:

I am surprised with the low quality of the images I got from both lenses. I
am coming from film cameras and used two very similar lenses with my Nikon
Pro film body.

How much post-processing are you doing? What are the settings in the camera? You have to remember that with digital, you are the photographer and the lab, and without the work done properly, you won't get great results.

It seems all reviews
corroborate my initial impressions about flaws with Canon lenses. The
16-35mm is claimed to be a disappointment but many who reviewed it and the
24 f/1.4 also has its flaws including lack of sharpness.

There are a lot of whiners and complainers on the net. There are plenty of people who have done ads, magazine covers, etc. with these lenses. If you think you can learn digital overnight, you're wrong.

What is the deal with Canon lenses ? I can't believe I've just purchased a $
10,000 + digital set up with what should be the best high end digital SLR
system in the market and this is the type of photos I'm getting from these
lenses.

I've got a lot of stuff published and sold prints up to 13x19 from a much lower cost setup. You need to spend some time to understand what you have and how to use it.

e but the lenses are of average rather than
professional grade image quality.

I think if you told all the SI shooters this, they would laugh in your face. Get real, if Canon was this bad, you wouldn't see their stuff at every pro event. Canon or Nikon, real photographers are doing high quality professional work.

It seems that digital photography is not ready for prime time yet. Close -
but no cigar !

Hmmm, you'd have to tell all my clients, the editors at SI, Newsweek, Time, Fortune, and lots of other magazines this. And all the advertising clients. And photographers like Lauren Greenfield, who use Canon digital cameras, prints huge, and sells the prints for thousands of dollars.

I am sorry for the long post - just needed to share my frustrations.

I think you'll be a lot less frustrated if you take a class or two and do a lot of reading.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com