color space questions

First of all, thank you to those who responded to my color management question a couple weeks ago, especially karl shah-jenner, as your info was most helpful. If you don't mind bearing with me, I have at least a couple more questions before I get going as I should.

Let me come clean. I don't really 'get' color management. I'm not clear on how all the different 'spaces' and 'profiles' work together (is a space the same thing as a profile? See, I really don't get it.) and when to apply one.

Let me tell you what I am doing then if you see a weak link in my set- up I'd appreciate some direction on how to change it.

I shoot raw + jpg on a Canon 20D set to Adobe RGB color space.

I use an imac with a gorgeous 20" screen. This system is calibrated using Pantone's spyder. I have set the resulting profile as my monitor profile from within system preferences.

In Photoshop I also use that same color space...the one created by my spyder (for clarity it's called Lea-spyder).

So far so good.

Then it all falls apart.

I am using both PSCS2 and Digital Photo Professional to do my raw conversions and I am getting them to look absolutely wonderful on my monitor. Then I send them to my lab and they look like hell.

I know my lab's Noritsu is set to print in sRGB (as are almost all lab printers if I'm not mistaken). In PS should I be converting to sRGB?

Also, I have downloaded my lab's printer profile and can set that as my color space in PS. Should I be doing that?

I am so confused.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Lea