Re: color space questions

The only thing you should use the monitor profile for is the monitor.

Secondly, you should always bear in mind what your output will be before you begin the process and then work towards that target. No point in doing all your processing in the Adobe RGB (1998) space and then converting it all in the end

If you're shooting RAW then the color space settings on your camera are irrelevant. You apply the color space in the raw converter.

I suggest that you use sRGB for you images that go to the lab.  Set that in the RAW converter

Actually, sRGB is an international standard. Although it?s a smaller gamut that the Adobe RGB.

If every link in the chain is optimized for the wider range of colors then Adobe RGB will give you better results. But the quality is only as good as the weakest link in the output chain.

In Photoshop color settings, (EDIT MENU) set Photoshop to preserve embedded profiles.

In the VIEW menu, at the top click on PROOF SETUP. Choose CUSTOM and load the profile you got from your lab. This will allow you to see what the image will look like printed by the lab.

In a nutshell:

In Raw Coversion: choose sRGB

In color settings: choose PRESERVE EMBEDDED PROFILES

In Proof setup: choose your lab?s profile

You?re set to go

lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First of all, thank you to those who responded to my color management
question a couple weeks ago, especially karl shah-jenner, as your
info was most helpful. If you don't mind bearing with me, I have at
least a couple more questions before I get going as I should.

lea murphy
www.whinydogpress.com

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,