Re: color space questions

Hi
See my comments inside between your lines:

----- Original Message -----
From: "lea murphy" <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 2:05 PM
Subject: color space questions

> First of all, thank you to those who responded to my color management
> question a couple weeks ago, especially karl shah-jenner, as your
> info was most helpful. If you don't mind bearing with me, I have at
> least a couple more questions before I get going as I should.
>
> Let me come clean. I don't really 'get' color management. I'm not
> clear on how all the different 'spaces' and 'profiles' work together
> (is a space the same thing as a profile? See, I really don't get it.)
> and when to apply one.
>
> Let me tell you what I am doing then if you see a weak link in my set-
> up I'd appreciate some direction on how to change it.
>
> I shoot raw + jpg on a Canon 20D set to Adobe RGB color space.
 OK

> I use an imac with a gorgeous 20" screen. This system is calibrated
> using Pantone's spyder. I have set the resulting profile as my
> monitor profile from within system preferences.
 OK

> In Photoshop I also use that same color space...the one created by my
> spyder (for clarity it's called Lea-spyder).
WRONG ! The monitor color space is not so good for Photoshop.
You'll beter use Adobe RGB or even sRGB.
The Adobe RGB has good results for use with future printings while sRGB is better for monitor exhibition.
( Monitors have wider color space than printers.)

> So far so good.
>
> Then it all falls apart.
>
> I am using both PSCS2 and Digital Photo Professional to do my raw
> conversions and I am getting them to look absolutely wonderful on my
> monitor. Then I send them to my lab and they look like hell.
Your Lab do not have and do not know your private color profile: Lea-spyder so he can not mach the colors.
So he assume some arbitrary color space to your pictures.
He sure know dealing with sRGB or Adobe RGB profiles.

> I know my lab's Noritsu is set to print in sRGB (as are almost all
> lab printers if I'm not mistaken). In PS should I be converting to sRGB?
Yes, It will be better !

> Also, I have downloaded my lab's printer profile and can set that as
> my color space in PS. Should I be doing that?
Use this only if you send a "print" file. ( a file that was prepared to print with your PS print command. in that case the lab can't do anything to correct anything. I suggest you do not use it unless you will be more proffessional with this. )

www.whinydogpress.com