Re: Canon's support and information.

Thank you very much Karl for the fantastic and extremely helpful answer.
This is just what I was looking for.

The question I have now is this:

The number or variable corresponding to the X count you refer to in your
post: can it be reset if the user chooses the auto-reset or similar setting
in the menu under the file numbering system or is this a number that is
continuously running from the moment the camera is built and can not be
reset ?

Following your rational, could I opened the image in a text editor such as
Word and search for this variable to simplify the process ?

Also following Alfred Tay's post and your rational, since dead pixels are
white (Alfred refers to them as WBP or White Bad Pixels) do you think it
would be possible to do the following to test the number of bad pixels in
the sensor:

1. Photograph a subject of an even color with RGB values that contrast
reasonably from the RGB values for white (usually closer or around 255).

2. Open the image in some type of text editor or perhaps the EXIF software
you mention to do a search for number values that fall outside of the
average value for the even-colored subject that was photographed.

3. Identify the number of pixels with values that do not coincide with the
values relative to the background. One of Kodak's 8"x10" could be used as
the neutral gray has a known value and would make it simpler to identify the
outstanding pixels.

In case you think this would be a viable approach, how could this be done in
a simple manner ?

Thank you very much once again for the very thorough and helpful post.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain