Re: Canon's support and information.

Thank you very much Alfred for the detailed and very helpful reply.

I am not sure I understand your explanation, but if I understood you right
the camera's firmware is designed in such a manner as to compensate for a
certain number of dead pixels so that they don't show in the final image.

Since the firmware is universal and developed for all cameras, instead of a
specific one for every camera that leaves the production line, I have to
assume that the calibration you refer to is what is going to compensate for
variations in the location of dead pixels from one camera to another of the
same model since they will likely have dead pixels located in different
spots.

When you say "multiple shots of dark frames" what type of subject should I
photograph ? You say that these dark frames should be e-mailed to the
technical support department of Canon, but judging by the type of assistance
I received from them over the phone I honestly doubt they would be able
and/or willing to provide this type of analysis of my camera's sensor.

Outside of sending the images to Canon's tech support, is there another way
to test these dark frames and verify if the calibration has been done
properly ? Is there a web site that describes this entire process in detail
including how firmware and calibration are supposed to compensate and/or
suppress the presence of dead pixels ?

I have asked Karl a question about a way to try to locate dead pixels in my
post replying to his. I would greatly appreciated it if you could read that
post and tell me what you think about that idea and how that could be made
to work.

Thank you once again for your detailed and very helpful reply. I appreciate
you and all other posters taking the time to help me with this issue.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain