Re: A Rare Review

James B. Davis wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:39:00 -0700, Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I'm curious though as to why it would need tweaking. I mean shooting
at ISO 100 on a contrasty day should give me a pretty contrasty
saturated image I'd have thought.

I have recently done quite a few shots in parallel with my tiny Lumix FX 8 and my analogue Minolta. Of course, considering the size of the sensor, a comparison is slightly unfair, but I consistently found the pictures by the Lumix much less contrasty and saturated. It's still nice to have a camera always with me - I've seen many brilliant shots I couldn't take simply because my camera was at home.

I'm considering buying a digital SLR, and hope it will have a much better resolution and less noise, but I'm not yet convinced it will produce the same sort of images I'm used to capture on Fujichrome Velvia...

As to the picture in question, I think it could do with a bit more saturation, also, there seem to be some artifacts surrounding the mountains in the back. Maybe, the visual impact could have also been enhanced by using a more extreme wide-angle lens and getting a bit closer.

By the way, I'm using a Spyder (not the latest version though) to calibrate my monitors...

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/