Re: A Rare Review

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:39:00 -0700, Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote/replied to:

>>This photo has a full histogram and looks basically like it did in
>>person when shooting.
>
>I've never seen, except for scientific and forensic images, the value
>of looking "like it did."  I think it should look like a good
>photograph, not "like it did."  One of the things I've noticed about
>great prints is that they really don't seem to be what it would have
>looked like but what it can look like when properly handled by the
>photographer.
>
>>Bob T wrote privately that he thought it needed more saturation. Wow,
>>that's hard to believe. That rust is really red on my monitor...
>
>I think Bob and I are seeing exactly the same thing.  I have three
>monitors, one of which is calibrated, and it needs it on all three as
>far as I'm concerned.

Right, well you were both right. I never thought about it, but the
video card in this laptop is overly saturated.

Fortunately it has software controls and I have cranked the saturation
down. I can now see that the image does look a bit flat, so I guess
I'm in the ballpark.

I'm curious though as to why it would need tweaking. I mean shooting
at ISO 100 on a contrasty day should give me a pretty contrasty
saturated image I'd have thought.

Learning, always learning - it ain't always the monitor. I'll be
dumping this laptop soon anyway and building a real computer. Until
then, I think my calibration should be better.

Thanks for the help guys.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/