Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

I'm not sure how you see that. Every source on the web and in print, and everyone else here, knows that WB is not set at the time of exposure, but is fully adjustable afterwards. This is where this whole discussion started.

At 01:18 PM 10/15/2005, Terry wrote:
I am right about both!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Spirer" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

At 10:59 AM 10/15/2005, Terry wrote:
I can go into the raw file converter and change it after the fact, by altering the ISO setting? I dont think so, not and get a good print.

It's important to separate what happens before the sensor records the image and after the sensor records the image. The amount of light hitting the sensor is controlled before the image is taken, by ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Everything else, including white balance and contrast/sharpness/hue settings happen afterwards. Anything that is changed afterwards is completely controllable regardless of the settings in the camera (for a RAW image), which is why you are wrong about the WB. However, there is generally more exposure latitude with a RAW image than a camera-produced jpg.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com