Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

Bob Maxey <written_by@xxxxxxx> writes:

> The background image is quite large. I measure it at 505,440
> bytes. You should decrease the file size. I was quite surprised to
> discover that there was a background image because it took "forever"
> to load.

That's interesting; Firefox reports it as 6745 bytes, and that's what
I get if I save it.  It was the last thing to come in on my broadband
connection, too, but I suspect that's because it came after the
slideshow images, not because it's so big itself.

Oh, and Emily, you've got the quoting messed up in what's trying to be
a "publisher_name" meta tag.  In fact the whole syntax of that line is
messed up.

> Remember that most of us do not have DSL and/or broadband. There are
> plenty of dial-up users still out there. Many visitors will not wait
> to see what happens; all they see is the first image, so give them
> some help. You might consider adding a line under the images:
> "Please wait for the slide show to load" so people do not leave. Or
> some such.

I'm not sure that's true.  I know one woman in Germany who's still on
dialup, and a guy in Virginia who insists on dialup to a shell
account, but neither of them are in the habit of browsing web sites in
the first place.  Everybody else, broadband.