Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

At 9:19 AM -0600 10/12/05, Terry wrote:
So then do you use some sort of raw file converter that will not allow you to make changes?

_Not_ allow you to make changes? Why would you want that? You mean from the b&w capture?

Of course, just because you open the file in a RAW converter doesn't mean you have to do any particular types of conversion - color balance, saturation, Kelvin or sharpness. In my experience it is certainly easier to bring out data on the white end with an underexposed image in ACR, than it is with an overexposed image. However last summer I did manage to find detail in the fabric of a sail that was overexposed 2 stops in full sun by working it in ACR.

But I would'nt recommend overexposing as a general habit.

now before any one jumps on me I know the raw file exists as a B&W image and every thing is applied to it in conversion but the conversion is all based on information that is stored with the image if that information is far enough out of balance the computer and program has no idea what the mistake was/is, this is where the problem is.

Sure, but you have the control with RAW. And correcting Kelvin is very simple with ACR. Obviously, since ACR displays the image with the white balance data that the camera thought you wanted, it's going to look different using different guesstimates from different default white balances. But I'm not sure that you can't arrive at the same histogram after correction from a variety of guesstimates. Try it selecting two very different Kelvins when you shoot the same situation and see whether you can arrive at the same histogram using the features of ACR or whatever RAW converter you're using.

Now you do need to know that I don't have experience with any other converter except Canon and Nikon's proprietary converters for pre-PSCS versions. I've never used Capture One, for instance, partly because ACR works very well for me.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/