Re: Stolen cameras

No, thank you for visiting. It's an interesting concept and by compiling all
lists into one database and getting indexed by the search engines it should
eventually make the internet a no go zone for stolen goods, or if they ever
surface it should enable them to be returned to the rightful owner. While
tuning the spider I've personally gone through approx 1800 reports, and I can
say that the two ways of getting a camera stolen, are a) leaving it in a car
b) sending it through the post. Because of the "post" issue, I've persuaded a
couple of large exporters from Singapore and Hong Kong to start logging
serial numbers shipments, they'll start advertising it as a feature soon.
(This is a free service too). They stick a sticker on the box and then enter
the serial number into the database. Then if an item does go missing, they
can instantly mark it up as stolen. The item may never be returned, but it
does add to the publicity of the service and may act as a minor deterrent and
if someone ever does check then stolencameras have some details registered.

It is actually unusual to get a camera stolen during a mugging (obviously it
will have happened to someone here), but the most daring theft must go to the
person who stole a camera from a chair while the owner was standing in front
singing his national anthem.