Re: Gallery Reveuws 17 SEP 05

R V <muunstruk@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Bob:
> ...I'm sure Qkano and Jeff will be happy to
> have thier images described as "boob shots" :o)

> I calls it as I sees it!
> They ARE boob shots - I can tell a focal point when I see one!
> They both are very artistic, VERY evocative boob shots... but boob shots
> nonetheless!
> There's nothing wrong with a pretty curve in a photograph...
> remember Edward Weston's bellpeppers?

It's an area Americans, certainly, and to a large extent most
Westerners, are weirdly inhibited about -- including the people who
are consciously trying to break the inhibitions, because if one is
still at that stage, one isn't fully comfortable with one's
thinking/feeling on the subject yet, either the old thoughts and
feelings or the new ones one may be trying to get to.  (I'm trying to
avoid attributing anything specific to any indivual photographer or
reviewer on the list; sorry my attempts end up making the prose so
convoluted!)  I could feel some of that playing out in me while I was
writing my reviews this morning, and it's probably why I never
specifically mentioned the subject of either of those shots.

The only way I know to get comfortable with something is practice.
Public discussion of anything with the slightest sexual connection is
one of those things, and the public practice is inherently
embarrassing.  I view my own hangups in this area as a shortcoming,
even an embarrassment, and would *like* to overcome them.

There's a kind of simple, honest lechery to the "Summer" shot that I
rather like, at least as long as it doesn't end up being the *primary*
view of women in society.