Re: OT: free opera registration

From: "karl shah-jenner"

: Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday *today* and is giving away free
: registration codes for PC, linux and Mac - so if you are thinking of
: playing with opera but don't want to dowload it today, it will save you
: some dollars to grab the registration code while it's free and legal!
:
: http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

Me:
: Opera is celebrating its 10th birthday *today* and is giving away free
: registration codes for PC, linux and Mac
:
: http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

As an aside, APC did a review of IE and firefox, comparing their memory
usage by first opening one instance, then another 21 by using ctrl+n versus
using the task bar icon and found the IE footprint was something like 40mb
(of your RAM being used) to have a single instance, balooning to something
like 400Mb when using the taskbar launch.. compared to a mere 44M when
using ctrl+n (!!!)

Firefox was supposed to be similar but not quite as bad.. this is hearsay
though, I haven't seen the article myself but it's interesting that there
should be such a massive difference in operations, so I thought I'd try it
with opera Vs IE

I just did a test a couple of times and took the average.

Tried opening IE the two ways stated to compare the memory usage using
FREERAM as a guide as to the RAM used.  Also did it with Opera.

I started with 409Mb of free memory (yes, I was running a few static
programs to load the system a little) of the 512 I have in the system on
this PC (win98SE don't laugh!).

RAM  (Mb) available after opening a rather large and bloated web page
repetitively..

opened IE using      Opened IE using      Opened Opera and dupe'd pages
CTRL+N                  task bar
351                        340               384
330                        326               379
324                        312               370
319                        299               361
312                        285               356

After closing ALL the pages, this was what RAM (Mb) was left available
349                        348               370

kewl!  Opera certainly gives back more and uses less of your computers
memory than internet explorer.. now someone want to do this with a *fully*
loaded version of Firefox comparable to Opera?

i am not entirely sure if this IS ot, given we're all using PS at one time
or another, and knowing it's memory leakage it's advantageous to know what
programs draw whay resources if we're using the computers as a multitasking
tool