Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: What Colour is Snow

I am thrilled with the program, though the $400 kind of put a damper
on my
spirit.
The $400 was an in joke BTW.

The standard edition for non-commercial use is totally free.

It's well known that most people these days are happier with
bug-ridden programs they pay a fortune for than freeware.  It's
something to do with the warmth of knowing you can afford to buy
things I guess.

Ironically the best freeware out there tends to be very good.
Usually, what lets it down if anything  is the Human Computer
Interface aspects: more often than not though the actual functionality
is far superior to anything coming out of Redmond where seemingly more
effort is placed on the package design than getting correct
algorithms.  The other problem with freeware is it's not driven by
profit.  It's driven by enthusiasts who have a mission to get it
right.

Made it a night scene by turning down the "exposure" since I haven't
gotten
into the different textures. Lots to play with there. Saved it as a
bitmap
(the only choice) and opened it up in good old Photoshop to tweak
further.

What worries me is that some of the artificial landscapes look better
than most of the landscape photos I'm seeing on line.  I reckon with
mayny of them you could post them on a photo site and nobody would
realise (except Per?)

Look through the site and there are plenty of free add-ons too.

Even the full package only costs $99 - and you only need that if you
are using it professionally or if you want to use BIG images.

Bob