Re: Comments on AUG 06, 05 photographs

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:36:17 +0100, Bob Talbot
<BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>Sorry to correct you.
>
>Absolutely no perspective correction needed.  The "trick" was to hold
>the film plane (image plane in digitals?) upright and parallel with
>the front face of the building.  Not too difficult with a gridded
>focus screen.
>
>This inevitably resulted in a large expanse of lawn at the bottom -
>which I just cropped off. I also shaved about 15% of the width off
>from the right edge for gallery display to avoid it being too long and
>thin.
>
>I'm wondering what made you think otherwise?

I just  figured you always showed a full frame image and likely
couldn't hold the camera plumb without strange framing. Plus of
course, I wanted to inspire some chat...

I shot a whole house full of architectural photos with my film EOS and
a 20-35mm lens. I managed to keep all verticals straight using your
method. Interesting assignment and the clients loved it.

>Was it something in the picture ?
>
>Yet another demo I keep thinking of doing one day is a side-by-side
>comparison of a "straight" and a perspective-corrected shot.  They
>won't be the same: the clues are in the picture.

Maybe if you have something round it might have gone oval, things like
that. Not in your shot though.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/