Re: The Scottish densitometer

----- Original Message -----
From: "James B. Davis"

: There were densitometers and sensitometers, the latter for film,
: former for paper. Basically they were for reading test strips to
: control processes. Useless in all but large volume labs.

aw, I don't know about *useless*

I find both of mine to be very useful for testing actual film speeds and
gauging spectral responses.  even built myself a small UV reflection
densitometer to work out relative reflectance to see how much washing a
print could tolerate before it started to loose it's whieners.

I still play with my black and white densitometer from time to time but
have found the colour one drifts a bit too much for accurate results -
might pick myself up a solidstate one one day.

I even used it in conjunction with a colour analyser in a very long and
complicated way to achieve print/monitor calibration until I worked out a
far easier way :-)

ONE day I planned to sit down with a pile of digital cameras and with the
aid of a prism, a ground glass screen, a colour analyser and a few other
odds and sods, I'll try to work out the actual spectral sensitivity of the
cameras in question.  Not sure if it's worth the effort though.. I don't
think anyone will really care about the results.