Re: The old Raw vs JPEG: was Is a Batch of Photos ...

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > I'm currently converting my Fuji S2 RAW files into DNG and working
>> > from there.  Mostly because the DNG file is less than half the
> size of
>> > the original RAW.  I hope I don't regret it.  I haven't gone back
> and
>> > done it to older originals yet.

> Is this "half" fairly consistent or is it less effective for
> high-detail images?
> It's hard to see how you can losslessly compress some images to 50%
> unless the source "information" is hollow to start with.

It varies.  And the Fuji S2 "RAW" file is *after* interpolation to a
rectangular 12MP image, so 50% compression really makes *perfect*
sense to me.

> Of course: raw is not raw.  Nikon's NEF format has less bits per
> sensor than the camera does for intance (it's already been processed).

I think maybe the Fuji one is also reduced that way, which annoys me
greatly.  Of course you can produce 16-bits-per-channel conversions
from it.

> The real problem with proprietry raw formats is that they are
> undocumented, not that one is better than another.
> At least with TIFFs anyone can read them ... and the private tags too
> if you have a mind to look inside.

Yes.