Re: The old Raw vs JPEG: was Is a Batch of Photos ...

At 08:58 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
Tina, it sounds like a lot of "possible" things, but that's true of almost anything new. What I hear is that these people are pushing a specific version of RAW file (OpenRaw)

Jeff -

Actually, what they are pushing for is for all RAW to be open. They want all manufacturers to give photographers access to their RAW codes so that you don't have to use specific software to convert it. When Nikon came out with files that have to use Nikon's software to convert them, all of the experts panicked and said that without access to RAW codes we had lost control over our own photographs. That part actually makes sense to me. It's not quite as bad as it sounds, though, because, so far, computer geeks have been able to crack all of the codes that the manufacturers have come up with so far. Read all about it here: http://www.openraw.org

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com