Re: darkroom chemicals

I mix practically all my own from scratch.  I prefer dry chemicals, because
they "last forever" (well, sorta).  I mostly do not buy "branded" chemicals;
I buy the raw chemicals from chemical suppliers.

For Black and White film:

Developers: I generally use Windisch/Muir, Pyrocat, or D76.  Others as
needed/desired. I also have a couple of low-contrast developers for
developing unshap masks I m ake up.

Stop:  I use water.

Fix:  I use Formulary TF4.

For Black and White paper:

I generally mix up MQ (or Ansco 125, or ...), or use Formulary BW65.  If I'm
feeling ambitious, I'll mix up some Ansco 130, but the BW65 is a *very* good
developer indeed and mixes in 10 milliseconds ...

Stop:  water

Fix: TF4.

Toners for paper:  I mix up a real formulary of toners as needed, from
thiocarbamide and prussian blue though the standard selenium (KRST) and the
sodium sulfide toners.  I can do the copper toners as well as iron.  I also
keep on hand all the ingredients for the old Defender toner set and mix them
as needed.  I don't do any gold or palladium toning, and I don't tone
negatives.

I mix up all the usual reducers, intensifiers, bleaches, etc., etc., as (not
very usually) needed.

For C41 film:

I mix up the formulas from scratch.  It's not much cheaper than using the
Kodak concentrates, and it is much less convenient.  However, I get to mix
up just what I need, and nothing goes bad "in the bottle" when I'm not doing
any darkroom work for a few months.

That said, I have found the Kodak concentrates to be the most consistent /
best overall of the ready-to-go color chemicals.

For RA4 paper:

Same as for C41 -- I mix up solutions as needed / when needed.  I have made
a couple of variations to the "standard" RA4 chemistry which allows me
additional saturation control when needed.

For stop, I use glacial acetic 50g/l with Kodak paper; boric acid 30g/l with
Fuji paper.

I don't do any reversal processing at all.

For other processes:  I also do the chemistry for van dyke, for cyanotypes,
and for gum.

Don Feinberg
ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx