Gallery this week

I thought the gallery had some interesting photos this week and couldn't let the peripheral discussions we always have upstage the critiques so here is a rare one from me. Interesting how many of the photos had subjects near the margins. And they work.

Trevor Cunningham _Law of Averages
Ok, I normally don't like fuzzy grab shot type photos but this one works for me. I like the feel of the motion and the subjects disappearing out of the image (in the next shot) but I profess to being in the dark about the title. Maybe I need more coffee this morning.

Greg Frazer - Sunday Drive
Another grab shot but in focus. Nicely done, bisecting the frame with the earnest photographer on one side and the child obviously thinking "Doesn't Dad ever put that stupid camera down. I hope he is watching the road." on the other. Not a world beater but cute.

Jeff Spirer- Cup
I first thought the cup was a found object in situ. After I noticed it was being held I thought that the photo needed a little more exploration composition wise. Tighter cropping top would help for me and a slight shifting of the cup downward and inward would satisfy my visual preferences. Very slight movement. All in all though I like the light, the textures and the overall effect.

Peeter Vissak - Cap on the pavement.
Neat shot but again, I would prefer a little adjustment of cap in the frame. Once more I think a slight shift of the viewpoint downward to accentuate the cap a little and tighten the dead space would be better. Just a slight movement and just my opinion.

Jim Snarski - Backyard Bambi
Aside from the Bambi reference which always puts me off I like the photo. We have whitetails around here and they are a pest exceeding even rabbits in their destruction of gardens. But I still think they are gorgeous creatures in the right setting. And this at least appears to be a natural setting. I can't say much about improving the photo except to tighten up around the edges. A little too much black for me.

Emily Ferguson - farewell to winter
This one works nicely for me. It might benefit from some top cropping and maybe a little local brightening around the flowers but that is nitpicking. As a resident of Iowa which has too much winter I like the look and feel of this image.

Margaret Lucas -fall forward spring back
Freud would have a lark with this one. The obviously phallic fungi didn't escape the photographer's eye. The exchanges about this have given me some insight into the mind set of the photographer and make me like it even more. The distortion of the title phrase is intriguing as well. Welcome to our midst, Maggie, if I may call you that. Oh yeah, the photo instead of just the subject. A little too much extraneous matter left I think. As with many photos cropping might help.

jIMMY Harris - Some Girls Ride Horses
Hmm, more Freudian material here at least in the commentary. What can I say? It may have been a decent photo to start with but the PS work has probably done much more to worsen the image than to improve it. Unless this is for a poster or a T shirt I don't see any value in the transformation. Much too gaudy.

Jim Davis - Sparrow Parents
Jim hits his stride again after relocating. At first, I thought I was looking at a stereo pair. Not much to say about the photos except they are competently done as one would expect.

Pini Vollach
Nothing to go on except the image which is a fair way to present it. A very nice decorative subject and photo. I would like it better I think if the verticals had been straightened and it was presented as a graphic image without pictorial intent. Or as a photo maybe the perspective should have been exagerrated. I like it but it stands between genres to me.

Overall, I think it is a pretty good gallery this week.  Keep 'em coming.
Don Roberts

Don Roberts *  Bittersweet Productions  *  Iowa City, IA
The most famous amongst us will never be as famous
as Gilligan. - Luis Gottardi