To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:02 AM
Subject: Re: Camera check

>Not everyone runs out and buys a new
camera everytime a new model comes out.

And not all digital cameras die in a few years.

Russ

In the days of heavily encrypted proprietry embedded firmware - wouldn't
it be a laugh if some unscrupulous manufacturer actually programmed in obsolescence.
Say a routine that progressively added excess noise based on the time since
it's last "service" :o)

Would be great for business: 100 dollars for a service and instant improvement
... visibly pictures better overnight. Customer happy - shareholders happy.
After all, they must have some way of generating revenue when the public
finally tire of continually upgrading (or should I say when we reach a "plateau
in technological advance".

Licensig is possibly the way to go - instead of selling you software you
rent it. Makes a lot of sense with the trend towards encrypted file formats
... Mmmmm ...

Book yourself something to look forward to in 2005.
Cheap flights - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/flights/
Bargain holidays - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/holidays/