Re: PF Exhibits on 14 MAY 2005

Well, it has been a while since I spoke up...

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated MAY 14 2005. Authors
with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Museki Abe - Goshikinuma

I'm impressed by the lack of blue haziness in this photo due to the shadows.  The color variety is rich and intricate.  I love how the oranges and reds pop out of the green.  Although the boats blend into the brightness of the water reflection, they're glowing just a bit too much for me.  I keep looking at them when I'm trying to take in the foliage.

Veli Cigirgan - Nedret

Seems to have that shiny quality of 1950/60's advertising photos.  The dominant cream color gives this effect a really calming and natural balance.  Would have liked a tighter crop on the right and more of her wrist on the left working the knot on the scarf.  Seems like a classy lady.

Jim Davis - Lake Cowichan Inhabitant

Great to see you back Jim.  The telephoto brings a bit of irony to this image I think.  I get a chuckle out of the house on higher ground still in the trees and NOT the water!  Looks like an ice shanty belonging to the truly dedicated ice fisherman.  Nice use of blue/grey tones on a cloudy day.  Well composed too.

Greg Fraser - Submersion

Like the grain.  As presented, I get the feeling of her going deeper and deeper into the abyss.  The goggles imply she's ready for the adventure.  My favorite of the week.

jIMMY Harris - doUble eXposure

Sorry Jimmy.  This one doesn't do anything for me.  I kept trying to stare past what I thought was a reflection from the train window to see the shells, only to discover that the "reflection" was the shells.  I keep waiting for the clouds to move away those beautiful mountains and for the rest of the door frame to appear on the left.

Howard Leigh - Daniel loves yoghurt....

Don't have kids.  This only makes me think of the mess I would have to clean up.  I now apologize for all of the messes my parents had to clean up after my first pallette adventures.  A tighter crop on the sides and the rest of his head would spruce it up a touch.

Christopher Strevens - As it used to be

Sad, but real.  I really like the soft focus as an elderly eye might see.  So organized, the minimal clutter alludes to a sudden change in living arrangement...almost like she may still be planning on finishing up the dishes when she gets to go home.

Peeter Vissak - Madonna with the Child

I love the coloring but hate the filter effect (it is my very uneducated opinion that these filters are overused and incredibly saccharine).  The lighting is impeccable too.  Although a diffused effect would have been as tacky as the filter, I believe (without seeing the original) that something would have to be done to tone down that massive hand-like appendage.  Certainly the protective mother gaurding her cub.

Pini Vollach - Monk

Nice.  On second look, I like it much better.  I panned it at first, but the white scultpure surrounding the very colorful monk really gives it a surrealness (is this a word?) I find quite playful.  Lots of motion in the image, I can almost see the umbrella twirling.

Richard Wrigley - Le Havre Church Tower

First thought:  Hal 9000 on the inside.  Almost flawless.  If the verticals on the lower octagon were more parallel to the sides, I would have absolutely nothing to say and keep my computer running!

Cheers!

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Yahoo! Mail Mobile