Re: Maybe a new toy...........................

> the D70 is soon  to be replaced with a D70s - the benefit?  It'll
use SD
> cards instead of CF (!??) and it will have proprietry RAW's  - so
you'll
> have to buy additional software to handle the images.

Karl

this is for the benefit of the users (paraphrasing quote from Nikon).
Lack of encryption tempts users to use third party - and even free -
software to decode THEIR OWN images. Obviously, this cannot be good
for the user.  Encryption (not the same as compression as I'm sure you
know) is obviously better because it encourages the owner to use the
proper (aka sold by Nikon) software or at the very least to buy
software from developers licenced (aka paying dosh to) by Nikon to use
Nikon's development tools.

Individual users are too stupid to fully understand bits and bytes
and, cough, various bayer interpolation schemes and indeed can waste
much time trying out various schemes.  Encryption protects you from
yourself and it's only right the owner of the key should charge
whatever they think fit for using the images ... after all, you bought
the camera not the images.

Kill freeware, upgrade now!

Bob