cataloging and retrival of images..suggestions wanted

How are those of you who shoot large numbers of images cataloging and retrieving them?

I'm considering using the metadata feature in PS CS but am wondering if there are better systems out there.

For example, over the past year I've shot over 11,000 digital images of my niece. These are organized in folders on my hard drive by date. Say I want to find a particular image which I shot of her in the studio, I can use the browser to hunt for it but surely there is a better way. Is the metadata keyword feature the way to go? I'm open to using other programs.

I'd like to hear from those who have this issue...how do you do it?

Lea

www.whinydogpress.com