Brief comments on PF Exhibits on 23 APR 2005

Hi!

I will not comment the gallery in the 'proper' way - I'm too much inconstant for that, but only point out what I DID like this time.

My three favourites pics were by Bob, Pini and Richard. Andy's piece had certainly lots of tongue in the cheek.

Bob's picture holds that special atmosphere which can sometimes be found in certain hours in certain season in certain locations and which we later try to find again, but often in vain. I'd call this the 'childhood' syndrome - I myself suffer from it as these days I almost never can find this peaceful overwhelming sunshine that fulfilled the days back then or feel that pure joy of the first snowfall in the autumn. And it does not matter if it is a Cheery or Able or Bear tree - it gives that special colour to the canvas.

Pini's picture shows once again, that it is possible to paint some light on the stone. Or to find that particular wall where there is still some adhesive light on it.
I know Pini is mastering this kind of light capturing more and more - I've seen him working in South-Estonian sandstone caves where he turned my attention to some specific optical paradoxes.

Richard's picture is exactly the thing I always miss - I encounter dozens of dramatic skyskapes here where I live, but usually these are spread over one- or two-dimensional shabby bush with no drama in it. Then again this picture is much much more interesting than the usual tourism brochure punched colour panoramas. If this is the Severn Bridge not Seven Bridge, then I think I've been in that surrounds once, 10 years ago, with quite similar weather, and I remember that feeling. It also reminds me that I've thought about producing one tourism pamphlet with "real" pictures inside - with rainfalls, fogs, inundations and snowstorms - these pictures for sure give much more real-life information about any particular location.

Leslie's series of images from Haiti is a splendid documentation project and only makes me envy him. To be honest I am still in the photograpers' list of a dead-born event "Haiti Cherie". One of the two only locations with remained luxuriant (cloud) forests - Parc Macaya - was attached to me and my wife and we had to spend a week there (as all other photographers and writers were to spend their week in every other location) with costs covered and reimbursements paid. Due to rapid and unexpected political changes all possible sponsors evidently dropped this project.

Regards,

Peeter