Re: Tech Vs. Image

----- Original Message -----
From: <Photogonow@xxxxxxx>
: I believe all photographers would like to record any event at 'f/64 - ASA
12
: - maybe even 1/4000 of a sec.'  but that is not the reality, and to
decide
: -NOT to take the shot- only leaves us in a world of EV 16-20!  The True
Human
: condition does not always Expose it's self at those light levels.
:
: I believe it is the Technology that is still behind the 'learning
curve' -
: not the Imagers!

I think from memory the human eye has an effective aperture range from
about f5.6 to around f16, we supposedly 'see' at 24 frames per second..

this would suggest our eyes were pretty limited in seeing until you key in
the perception issue, and recognise the memory builds a lot of what is
'seen' to allow what the mind perceives as redundant from being continually
re-examined.

but the eye is not a camera, and a camera is not a selective, synapse based
memory device.

then again, we have all agreed in the past that photographs produced by
cameras are shadows of the real world and NOT reality (except in a relative
sense ;-)

As a pictorial device I have found blurs pleasing, I have found 1/4000 of a
second shots informative - but they may never represent what I *saw* at the
time - however, I can still translate these representations with my mind.

Consider the facial expressions captured in some shots - the weird
contortions that result from a face animated during conversations.  They
were there at the time, but the reality is that these fleeting transitions
between one expression and the next happened to be trapped by a shutter
speed that exceeds our temporal perception.

In the book The Dark Summer, the author, Bob Carlos Clarke makes the
observation in the prologue that although the series of images took place
across quite a long span of time, the images in the book capture less than
a second in time.  I found that poignant, and it has been a thought that's
stuck with me ever since.

Since we mentioned audio before it's probably OK to draw a comparison to
that too.  Words are complex, the sounds made are sometimes quite subtle
and distinct - voice recognition programs often have heaps of problems with
accents, yet we can hear and interpret barely articulated, accented,
screamed words though massive levels of ambient noise.

Our mind & memory does a *lot* of the perception when it comes to using our
somewhat limited senses to perceive the world around us.

the technology is already here, but at this stage it's largely the domain
of an organic, lucid and perceptive mind.  A shame the recording device is
often prone to fading ;-)