Re: Film Vs. Digital

> Most people here are interested in photography as communication,
whether
> that's personal or commercial, not in using it as evidence at a
crime
> scene.  That's why the example is absurd.

Jeff

Why is it absurd?

Personally I'm involved both in scientific imaging and in making (what
I believe are) pretty pictures.

Sure, in your work (of which I'm a fan) I can't tell which you took on
film and which digitally - grain wise I might if I saw the original
prints but that's another matter.

But why is it that everytime anyone mentions technical (factual)
weaknesses of digital imaging the discussion gets twisted round to why
someone can quite happily blow up their art farty semi-OOF snaps to A2
and how after all resolution does not matter?

Karl's observation about the police is quite humorous: for most (you
used that word first) people involved with owning cameras PhotoShop is
synonymous with image MANIPULATION. The idea of coppers (well know for
"helping" evidence along when it suits them) cloning in critical clues
is a bit of humour.  More likely they will be cloning out the bits
that don't support the case. If it comes to enhancing pictures for
genuine forensic purposes PhotoShop is not the tool of choice. Read
*NOT*.

OK, forensics, astronomy, physics, wildlife etc etc may not be in the
majority compared to the number of snapshots but they are important
al, the same.

Bob